Health & Safety Menu
Safety Management Systems
Effective safety systems
Safety Management Systems are structured systems that ensures all elements of health and safety within an organisation are managed effectively. It ensures that at a minimum, legal requirements are addressed and ultimately that employees and others within the workplace are protected.
Acacia can provide the expertise necessary to set up all elements of the Safety Management System, making it specific to the needs and requirements of your organisation.
There are three imperatives for adopting a safety management system within any organisation– these are ethical, legal, and financial.
There is an implied moral obligation placed on an employer to ensure that work activities and the place of work to be safe. There are legislative requirements defined on how this is to be achieved and there is a substantial body of research which shows that effective safety management (which is the reduction of risk in the workplace) can reduce the financial exposure of an organisation by reducing direct and indirect costs associated with accident and incidents.
Is your organisation considering external certification of your Safety Management System?
The Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series of Standards (OHSAS) sets out the necessary requirements for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system. This is an internationally recognised standard in health and safety management (OHSAS 18001). Our experienced Health and Safety Consultants can help your organisation in achieving and maintaining certification to this standard and manage this process every step of the way.
Certification to the OHSAS 18001 Standard can result in a range of benefits, including:
- A more disciplined and structured approach to safety
- A reduction in lost working days
- Fewer workplace accidents
- Fewer medical claims
- Less time and money spent on accident-related investigation and paperwork.
- Recognition by insurers and regulators
- Recognition by potential clients (i.e. in Tender processes)
- Improved employee motivation, retention, and satisfaction
- Reduced legal costs
Our qualified Health and Safety Consultants are experienced with working with accreditation bodies and can act as the liaison point on your behalf.
- Implementation of effective safety management systems improves employee productivity and reduces legal costs
- Our expertise in safety management systems supports our clients in meeting their legal obligations to their employees
- We can support our clients in attaining OHSAS 18001 Standard by liaising with accreditation bodies on our behalf of our clients